Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Protect Battery MERCEDES-BENZ 500 SLC from Heat of the Exhaust

Mercedes-Benz 500 SLC

I have a question, On my 500 SLC there's a sheet of metal under the batery tray and near the exhaust manifold. I don't know if this is a factory part (I doubt) to protect batery from the heat of the exhaust or installed by someone at a later date?

On yellow marked the suspected part. It's a simply sheet of metal with only one bend. A very simple part to be made at the factory. It is odd mine is in the trunk

Battery MERCEDES-BENZ 500 SLC

The SLC's with automatic air con had the battery on the boot. The problem with this sheet is that it produces an annoying vibration noise at 1300-1400 rpm. I was thinking about eliminating them, if it wasn't put there by the factory !!!

In my opinion, It is a bad place to put the battery anyway above the exhaust manifold. Just replace it with a sheet of stainless steel.If you just remove this thin sheet the battery is heating up.

However, If you remove the battery and the sheet you can inspect the corner for rust underneath. There is a chance that there is rust there because of clutter or leaking batteries over the years.

I wouldn't remove the sheet and left the battery tray without the undertray sheet, but I would replace it for a sheet stainless steel or a plate of aluminum thicker then the ''paper'' rattling plate that you have now. Or replace it to the back of the car with new wires.

I believe Jaguar had the same problem with their V12's and made an enclosure with a fan on it to cool down the battery.I have installed the aftermarket ABS pump on this spot and put the battery on the right side in the boot. Not original but better thinking.

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Other Posts

Powered by Blogger.