Monday, February 8, 2021

Best Way How to Wash/Clean Boat & Engine after Salt Water

flush clean boat salt water


How do you guys flush your engine after a day in salt water ? Some people start the motor with muff, some people attach the muffs and run way get through. I just apart the hose on both sides of the intakes to clean most of the saltwater out. Just seeing what other people do.

Answer :

- Run on muffs with saltaway.

- It’s a difficult thing if you leave it in. If you’re lucky enough to have a lift, and it’s an older motor, good luck getting those muffs on. I’ve been doing salt for a couple weeks a year, and just lift the motor out, then do salt away when I get back home. I just had to tear the motor apart from a bad mechanic not troubleshooting it right, and it looked good. So just don’t worry and do the best you can and it will be ok.

- 5 mins on Muffs and a good spray down . Since I live close to a river , I’ll go up n down the river a few times for a good thorough flush also

- We’re berthed so hook up a hose to each engine let it run about 5 minutes


Other Questions

How do you clean your boat? Also, how do you flush your motor after saltwater use?

-Pressure washer with a foam cannon and marine soap. Vacuum all carpet and use tuff stuff for any stains. Never ran in salt water before but from my understanding just hook it to the muffs and run it for a couple minutes

- I flush mine when I get home with a pair of ear muffs and a garden hose. Let it run for about 15 mins or more. Hand wash with a good marine soap. I have sprayed in bed Linder and just wash it with garden hose.

- Use muffs, or most motors have a built in flush, Hook a garden hose to it but don't run the motor. I finish the flush with some Salt Away.


If i have a black terrova and mostly fish freshwater. I usually take my boat in saltwater a handful times a year. As long as I clean it with fresh water I should be OK?

- It'll be fine

- Always clean/rinse/flush after saltwater no matter what equipment you have

- You can replace some of the hardware(pins etc) to stainless like on the riptides. Done mine and go never had to touch them again. 

-Best to do some preventative maintenance. Ask jay about the corrosion stuff his buddy makes. It’s bad ass. Make sure your bolts and nuts are 316 stainless.

I always stop at st James or laurel ridge on the way home from saltwater to dip the boat in fresh and run it for a couple minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Other Posts

Powered by Blogger.